Hey everyone! We hope this update from Awakening Youth Ministries finds you having a great week! Last night, May 31st, we talked about the legacy that we each wanted to leave behind in life. Our original plan was to go to a cemetery to check out some of the epitaphs on the tombstones, and then talk about what we hoped others would say about us for our epitaph. However, the weather had other plans.
After the lesson, the youth took some quiet time to answer these “if you were to die today” questions:
1. What do you think that those closest to you would write for your epitaph?
2. If others were to write your epitaph based on the way your are currently living, would you be pleased or embarrassed?
3. What do you think your epitaph would say if God wrote it?
4. What would you like your epitaph to say?
5. What things in life do you need to do and not need to do in order to cause others to write the epitaph you want on your tombstone?
These questions may seem a bit weird and morbid to you, but we wanted to get the youth to take some time to truly think about the lives and examples they are leading. Life is temporary, but eternity and the legacies we leave behind are not.
What would your epitaph say if you were to die today?
What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Mark 8:36NIV