Happy January 9th!
This past Sunday was the launch of our new set up as well as our 2017 State of the Awakening Address! Our new meeting time is Sunday Night from 6-8 with different electives meeting before youth from 5-6. The electives this week were karate, cafe, and study (homework). We also set a new record for attendance with 25 middle and high schoolers!!!
Our game was “Minty Chinny”. The students had to balance a mint on their chin and try to knock everyone else’s off without losing their own. It was pretty comical to watch, but we did not get any pictures of that:/
The youth band, GEN122, led us in a great time of worship before we moved into the message for the night titled, “2017 State of the Awakening Address.” We looked at what we had seen God do over the past year as well as in 2014 and 2015. As we started the message, Derik and Logan (The secret service agents for the night), got the rest of the group AMPED UP as “Hail to the Chief” and “Awake and Alive by Skillet” cranked through the sound system while the “president” walked in.
We looked at three main things during the message:
1. The Past
A. 2014— 10.77
B. 2015— 13.
C. 2016— 17
***That’s a 60% increase in three years!***
2. First ever mission trips to Staten Island, NY and Lancaster, PA.
A. We are hosting a mission trip in Sandusky, OH in 2017!
3. New logo, shirts, and painted the youth room.
4. Increased community involvement.
A. Salvation Army, Homeless Shelter, Cookies and cards to 1st Responders.
B. Schools (Lunch, Garbonics, and Action Steps)
6. Pool Table and Ping Pong Table
7. The band, GEN122, has continued to grow, improve, and add new people.
8. The best? Spiritual growth.
A. People lifting hands, praying, witnessing, etc.
After we looked at the past, we took time to look at what we are believing God for as we move into 2017!
2. The Present and Beyond
1. 2017 Theme— #NewBeginningsNewHeights
A. 2 Corinthians 5:17ESV— Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.The old has passed away; behold, the has come.
B. Isaiah 43:19ESV— Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
2. Updated Vision— X-RAY VISION (More on this over the next three weeks)
3. New, 6-step discipleship process that every student will be encouraged to go through before graduating.
3. The Future
1. We are praying and believing that God radically transforms each and every person that walks through these doors to the point that others can’t help but notice.
2. We encouraged the students to not let their main priority to be to change their friends this year. We challenged the students to allow God to take them to new heights in their own relationships with him and their friends will follow. Part of God taking us to new heights in our lives includes reaching those around us. As God changes us, he changes others through us!
As we closed out the message portion of the service, we asked the students: “Who’s In?” Who’s ready for God to take them, and this youth ministry, to new beginnings and new heights in 2017? The outcome was all 25 students stood to close out the message as we prayed over the group!
We closed out the night by splitting back into our tribe huddles to talk about the new beginnings and new heights that we wanted to see God take the group to in 2017. Some of these included: averaging 25-30 by the end of 2017, 10-12 salvations in 2017, growing stronger in our faith as a group, more community outreaches, etc. The individual goals that students set were also pretty exciting to hear!
We are PUMPED about 2017, and we hope that you are too! #NewBeginningNewHeights